Monday, August 08, 2005

Lazy

I had to resist temptation last night when a very pretty hooker started following me down the street.
"I give you good massage ok ok?"
There is plenty of legitimate massage in Thailand but not usually offered after midnight on street corners.
"Mai aw, Mai aw!" Don't need, don't need! I said shaking my hand and running as fast as I could wearing sandals. Its so cheap here, maybe 25-30 bucks.I think an hour with a hooker in New York City starts at around $200.

Keep in mind that shaking your head "no" means nothing here. You have to shake your hand like the Queen of England only a little faster. Anything else only confuses them. Imagine what you would think if somebody said hello to you while shaking their head "no"?

I am having some very lazy days here in Chaing Mai. The idea is that learning to speak some Thai would make everything more enjoyable. Yet there is so much I would like to do. I would like to go to Pai. I would like to visit Suko Thai the ancient capitol. I want to have some diving down in the south, maybe Ko Phi Phi.Royal says the kayaking in Krabbi is not to be missed.

There is also the idea of affordable health care. I think I need reading glasses. Well, I know I need reading glasses but I keep lying to myself. The computer screen has ruined my eyes. Katerina was laughing at me in Bangkok when I held the menu across the table to be able to read it. Her father is an optomotrist. Here one can see a doctor, get a prescription, glasses everything here for around 25 dollars.

I also wouldn't mind having my teeth cleaned and examined.

For as long as I can remember I have had this little pain in my side. It comes and goes. It is never debilitating so I just ignore it. MRI (including radiologist fee) at Bangkok General Hospital? Around two hundred and fifty dollars. Hard to pass up.

That means I would need another week in Bangkok. Time is running out already.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/healthcare.asp

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the end, good health is the most important aspects of life, don/t let it slip by, not reversible.

Anonymous said...

You know, when I don't have my reading glasses, I have to hold everything at arm's length too, and even then, sometimes, I still can't read it.

So get the glasses. And if you can do it there for $25, it's all the more reason to do it.

Yes to dentist, yes to MRI. Keep the results of the MRI though, if they let you. Or have them transmitted to your doctor, if you have one. The reason being that if you want a second opinion about their diagnosis, you won't have to pay for another MRI when you get back.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Anonymous said...

Aside from saving your eyes, I think glasses would look very good on you - take care of your eyes and I am sure taking care of it in Thailand would add to your blog........ B; yes, but do go to Krabi...