Sunday, October 19, 2008

Me and Bob

Senator Bob Casey came to the Lehighton office today. His big tour bus with 22 members of his extended family pulled up in front of our office. Even the patrons of the biker bar were in awe. They thought it was Obama himself.

He gave an impressive speech. There was a magical feeling in our tiny office as he stood on the dais and address the crowd of volunteers. I wondered where they all came from. Why don't they show up for phone banking? Casey has a way of making the connection between what happens in Washington and how it manifests itself in Lehighton. He recounted the tale of how he and his fellow senators including some conservative Republicans had put together a bill to expand health care coverage to children.

"There are 925 children in that program here in Lehighton and I know there are hundreds more that need it. George Bush vetoed that bill. John McCain voted against it and applauded that veto. We need a president in Washington who will sign that legislation."

My goal was to get one of those self made photos with him but between the security and the volunteers I didn't think it was going to happen. Then it happened. Casey and his family had gone out to canvass door to door with the rest of our people. They came straggling back in in ones and twos. I was coming up from the cellar and there he was sitting in a chair by himself.
"Hey" I said. "Mind if I get a shot of us?" Katie a 17 year old intern from the Hazleton office offered to snap it. "No, no, no." I said. " I can do it.

I put my arm on his shoulder and held my cell phone up. Katies Jaw dropped. I snapped it.
"You're doing a hell of a job here." He told me with what seemed like genuine warmth. He walked out and on to the bus.
"Oh my god." Katie said. "You totally popped his Myspace cherry."

"Not bad." I thought as the bus pulled out. Last Saturday I walked into an empty office went down to the cellar and cleaned the toilet. Today a senator from the state of Pennsylvania was sitting on it.

No comments: