Friday, October 31, 2008

Rollercoaster

Some days I wake up and the last thing I want to do is get out of bed.

When I do get up the first thing I do is practice yoga for an hour. I sit down for breakfast. I play guitar. I take a long shower. I lather up with scented soap. I shave. I massage coconut oil into my hair. I put on my scent, Eternity by Calvin Klien. I dress. Then I get in the car and head for the office. I leave antique Jim Thorpe nestled in autumnal golden brown hills and gripped with fear I head for Lehighton.

Everyday there is like a roller coaster. Like last night, when I was talking to an undecided.
"Are there any issues in particular that concern you" I asked.
"Yeah, Health Care."
I started to explain the different aspects of Senator Obama's stance on Health Care. I started with the states initiative to expand coverage to children that Senator Bob Casey had talked so passionately about.
"Yeah, C.H.I.P.s My kids are covered already. I got paralyzed on one side of my body and the insurance company says it was a pre-existing condition. They said I got it from lying on my sofa chair."
I started to tell him about how part of Senator Obama's plan was to eliminate that exception. But before I got two words out of my mouth he interrupted me again.
"I don't care about that. You democrats that's all you do. It's just a load of double talk."
"Sir. If you could just let me explain..."
"No you listen to me." He was screaming. "The judge changed the decision on the bench. He even let a doctor change his testimony over the phone and you guy's just go on and on about Health Care for other people's children. That doesn't concern ME."
I laughed. The laughter was genuine and spontaneous. He had completely taken me by surprise.
"What are you laughing at?"
"I'm sorry." I said. "I never heard that before. You don't care about other peoples children?"
"Now you've done it. Now you've really ticked me off. Now you WON'T get my vote."

I know I am not the best person for this job. I let myself get painted into a corner and then I don't know how to get myself out. When I first decided to go to a battleground state they asked me what my greatest strength was. Then they asked me what my greatest weakness was. I thought for a moment.
"I spend a lot of time reading and educating myself on the issues. When I talk to someone who's knowledge runs as deep as the latest sound bite from Fox News I just think they are ignorant and not worth talking to. I don't imagine that is going to be very effective."

Then there are days like yesterday when I spotted a little old lady peering through the door. She was perfectly coiffured. She had on a plaid wool jacket with large brown buttons. On her lapel was a gold jeweled pin of a rose. She had a cane. I went and opened the door.
"I hope I am not intruding." She asked elegantly.
"No not at all. What's up?"
"I would like to help. I like that Obama. We need new ideas."
"Sure." I said. I sat her down and gave her a form to fill out. She looked up at me with crystal grey eyes and smiled.
"I hope you know you are getting a life long Republican to volunteer for you."

That is what it is like. Every day. By the end of it I am paralyzed. Exhausted. But at nine P.M. I wrap it up and I am happy. I race back to my Victorian hideaway. I have a cup of mint tea. I turn on the old TV that Louise has painted pink and glued doilys to. I have learned to keep it tuned to Turner Classic Movies. I do not stray. Beyond that there is only more turmoil.

No comments: