Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ionic Capitals on The Pandrosian


I woke up this morning at 6:30am. I decided to take advantage of the empty city and head directly to the Acropolis. I stopped in a little cafe and had a fresh squeezed orange juice from one of those lovely Zumex machines. It is like one of those old Coney Island machines filled with trinkets except that it crushes oranges instead. Along the way I also explored the market on Atheni Blvd. It was filled with butchers looking like lab technicians in their white coats. This would be a nice city to have a little apartment with a kitchen. We do not have any markets like this left in America.

I got to the entrance of the Acropolis at 8am as it was opening. There was already a small cue. I booked a guide at 25 euro. We had a one hour tour. By 9:30 hordes of people were already pouring in. The sun was blistering. This was mitigated by the fact that it inspired the scores of attractive young women who flock to this place, to wear as little as possible. By 10:30 am I had drunk 3 limonatas and had as many turns at the water fountain. The public water here is surprisingly good.

No comments: