Monday, August 18, 2008

Aphrodite

Nick and I hiked up over the ridge and down to the site of one of the ancient cities that was being excavated. They were not just uncovering the temple here but actually rebuilding it. A small group of columns had already been erected.

There was a small rock island about 300 meters off shore and a group of boys had swum out to it and were diving from a precipice. We could hear their shouts above the waves. It was a pity that Johannes was not here. I know we would have been heading out there, into the lion's mouth, to join them.

Nick and I paused to rest on a rock bench before heading back. We saw a woman swimming towards the shore. She paused before getting out of the water and looked at us.
"She must be naked." I thought. "And waiting to see if we were ok." I gave her a little wave and she emerged from the froth. It was a perfect moment. An inspiration for Aphrodite. Now I see how myths come to be.

No comments: